What is Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy is sometimes referred to as a ‘talking therapy’ as it involves talking about emotional difficulty and trauma with a trained therapist who can help you gain a deeper understanding into any issues you face as well as discover healthier ways to cope with feelings and fears
Psychotherapy gives you the opportunity to explore what has happened to you in a safe non judgemental environment and work towards overcoming social and emotional challenges to improve your mental health and daily life
Who can benefit from Psychotherapy?
The following feelings and behaviours are signs an individual may benefit from Psychotherapy;
• Feelings of anxiety
• Anger, anxiety or depression due to a life changing injury or illness
• Overwhelming feelings of sadness and loneliness
• Feelings of depression, grief and emptiness
• Difficulty concentrating on work or studies
• Feelings of hopelessness and that things may never improve despite support from family and friends
• Lack of confidence or extreme shyness
• Difficulty making or sustaining relationships
• Difficulties coming to terms with losses such as divorce, bereavement, unemployment
• Self harm
• Engaging in destructive coping mechanisms such as excessive drinking, taking drugs or becoming aggressive resulting in harm to others and yourself
• Panic attacks and phobias
• Feeling like you can’t cope
• Extreme mood swings
What can I expect?
The aim of therapy is to allow you the space to share and explore personal and relational issues in a safe and supportive environment. My role as your counsellor is to help you process your feelings and help you gain a deeper understanding of your thoughts, feelings and behaviours. You may have goals you would like to achieve and with my support I will help you work towards those in a realistic and safe manner.
How will you know if I am the right therapist for you?
During our initial consultation we will discuss your aims, goals and presenting issues as well as a little bit about your past. In doing this I am able gain a better understanding if I am able to meet your needs and support you adequately through your counselling journey.
You will also have the opportunity to ask me any questions you have and see if you feel comfortable talking to me and if there is a rapport between us. I will always encourage you to reach out to various counsellors for consultations to see who you feel is best suited to you and your individual needs.